Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Power of Perception

I sometimes forget just how powerful perception can be. As I continue talking with business owners about the opportunities that are and will be available in the Cloud, a couple of things become glaringly obvious.

One, is the fact that almost no one outside of the IT world has any idea what Cloud Computing is let alone what it can do for them. And two, even after providing some kind of description it still doesn't make sense. So during a lunch meeting with a group of small business owners I showed them what it means.

After a basic explanation of what the Cloud is and could mean for them, I paused and said "let me show you something". I asked to see one of the iPhones on the table, held it up and explained that I could use this iPhone which didn't even belong to me and log into any aspect of my business, right there, right then.

It was as simple as that, they got it.

After the meeting a gentleman came up and mentioned that we live much of our lives online right now and if people are just reminded of that, they'll get Cloud Computing.

As I though about it, I realized that he was exactly right. We bank online, share photos and videos, chat, file taxes, send email and the list goes on and on. We are in fact much more an online "Cloud computing" world than I had really even paid attention to.

We work in the cloud everyday. Flikr, Picassa, Youtube, Myspace, Facebook, Turbotax Online, Gmail, and Yahoo are just some of the examples of how we use Cloud computing everyday and don't give it a second thought.

So why have businesses been slow to use the tools in the Cloud like Google Apps? Perception! I think in general that business owners just don't realize that using the online applications for their business communication is no different than sharing photos or doing their taxes.

Some how it doesn't seem "businessy" enough I guess. Maybe the perception of using online tools is great for photos or chatting, but real business has to happen on "the office computer" to be real.

Well I hope to play a role in changing that perception. Serious businesses all over the world are taking advantage of the benefits of online applications.

Even setting aside how many businesses are moving to the Cloud, I'm the first to admit that Cloud computing is not perfect, but it's ready for use! And use it you should.

"Ready for use", with all it's benefits needs to be the new perception and when it is, that power will move the way business is do forever.

See you in the Cloud,

Rob




No comments: